Tuesday, November 7, 2023

What Planet Are You From?

Photo by NASA on Unsplash

Have you ever been asked this question? (see title)  I have.  Though more often, it's not asked in words; it's conveyed in that quizical face that says, "You have crazy ideas, you are behaving very strange, you do not understand this moment at all."  I used to try to avoid getting this reaction, and would back down immediately from whatever I'd said.  Now I'm starting to see that it's not about me at all. Some people are just boring and closed minded.  (Not YOU, of course.)

Just for fun I googled this question, as one does, and discovered this fun quiz for finding your home planet.  I took the quiz, of course, and learned that I am a martian!  I think they really get me, because this sounds so much like me: "You are a lovable geek at heart and enjoy a good space flick in your spare time."

I think I have suspected my martian origins for some time. For instance, when everyone was reading the book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus (1992) by relationship counselor John Gray, my husband and I were certain that Gray had it backwards for us.

The reality is that gender is just one more way in which we've oversimplified things and made something black and white that's not. Thankfully we're talking about this more and more, and learning how to communicate with each other in ways that don't get people making awkward faces at us. Still, there are times when I just ask the wrong question, so I'm thankful for this set of videos from Reconciling in Christ called "Clunky Questions."

What clunky questions have you been asked?

What clunky questions have you been asking?

Share your answers, and definitely share what planet you're from.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment