Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Subtly Answered Prayers

It occurred to me this morning that one of my repeated prayers over the last several years was for God to help me be more present in the moment, and more engaged with the people in those moments.  I think (I hope!) I am indeed better about being present, but that also means that if you ask me on Monday what's on my calendar for the coming week, I usually can't tell you.

Now, maybe being present in the moment and less thinking ahead about things are not related, but I really think they are.  And it's not the first time I've noticed prayers being answered in unexpected ways.  Maybe you have noticed this in your life as well?

I should point out that Monday is my day off, so I am particularly intentional about avoiding work-related things like calendars and email on Mondays.  I often feel like I'm playing beat-the-clock on other days, so I try to ignore the time on Mondays as well.  I've learned to set alarms if I have appointments on Mondays because I have missed a few. So, I'm thankful for the capabilities of smart phones that help me let go of concerns about the short-term future and enjoy my free time more.  What helps you let go?

I've also prayed over the years for God to make me more the way I was made to be and less about the ways I've tried to be what I've thought people expected or needed me to be.  The more I'm able to let go of those concerns, the more I am able to be creative and the more I want colorfulness in my clothing and surroundings.

I recently discovered Shel Silverstein's poem "Colors" from the book Where the Sidewalk Ends:

My skin is kind of sort of brownish

Pinkish yellowish white.

My eyes are grayish blueish green,

But I’m told they look orange in the night.

My hair is reddish blondish brown,

But it’s silver when it’s wet.

And all the colors I am inside

Have not been invented yet.

I'm in the process of learning more about all the colors I am inside, and I'm thankful for the space and grace to do that.

Thanks, God

 “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” --Matthew 6:34

No comments:

Post a Comment