Tuesday, October 25, 2022

How Do You Draw Grace?

Photo by Alex Shute on Unsplash.

I have been working on drawing the images that come to mind when I think about verses of scripture.  The Bible is full of narratives that give us entire scenes, but even the non-narrative parts are full of imagery. I have gotten stuck, however, in thinking about how to draw grace. 

The word grace in Greek is charis. In Greek letters, χάρις. The first letter looks like a cross laying down. One way to draw grace would be to draw a cross, especially since the cross is one of the most common symbols of Christianity and of the gift of grace we have through Jesus who died on a cross.  Also, the first letter of Christ is that same χ, so a cross would be an easy answer. But that seems insufficient for the immensity of grace.

“But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (Gen 6:8). Based on this verse I might draw grace as a face.  Even though we cannot literally see God's face, I think we find God's grace in the eyes of the people around us sometimes.  Hopefully often, actually. 

Psalm 23 in the International Standard Version says "Truly, goodness and gracious love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will remain in the LORD's Temple forever." For this verse, I would draw one person chasing another (in stick figures, of course). Though I don't know that we are running away from God, necessarily.  Then again,  maybe sometimes we are. 

Titus 3:7 says, "Because of his grace he made us right in his sight and gave us confidence that we will inherit eternal life." (NLT) Here are God's eyes again!

Ephesians 2:5 says "That even though we were dead because of our sins, he gave us life when he raised Christ from the dead. (It is only by God’s grace that you have been saved!)" (NLT) Again a cross would be a good picture, or maybe a life preserver. 

Photo by John Torcasio on Unsplash 

This photo reminds that there is a brand of soap called Lifebuoy. Grace could be drawn as a bar of soap, since God's grace makes us clean, just as if we'd never sinned.

Based on this verse: Ephesians 2:8-9 "God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God." I would draw a box with a ribbon around it and a big bow on top, but then what would be inside the box exactly?

I suppose I will keep on pondering this one. What about you? How would you draw grace?


No comments:

Post a Comment