Tuesday, May 3, 2016

On the easel pad in my office there are currently four statements.  I wrote them there to remind myself, encourage myself, and to remind and encourage anyone who reads them.  They are:

    1.  To know Christ and make him known – This is our church mission statement. I like that it puts Jesus as our focus, and reminds us that our mission is to spread the word about Jesus’ love and grace.  This goes far beyond just what happens at 5127 Avenue U, Galveston.  Our mission goes with each one of us, and is a part of our lives wherever we are, 24/7.
    2. It’s not about me – I have this on a t-shirt. (The t-shirt also says “Isaiah 26:3.”)  It’s also the first sentence of Rick Warren’s book The Purpose Driven Life.  This sentence helps me keep things in perspective, and reminds me that I am not the center of the solar system, the Son is (see #1 above).
    3. It’s about building the kingdom of God – This statement is the continuation of statement #2.  By following our mission statement, we are building God’s kingdom here on earth and in heaven.  We are seeking to follow God’s will, and to accomplish God’s purposes.  It means we’re not just thinking about those who are in the church, we’re also thinking about those who need to know who Jesus is and what he’s done for us...the future church.
    4. With God all things are possible – Jesus said this. (Matthew 19:26)  It reminds me that the realm of possibility is not defined by my vision or strength or understanding, but by God.  For our church, it's a reminder that our rebuilding plans have to include not just today, but also next year, and ten years from now, and beyond.   This verse has long been a theme in my life.  When I was a teenager, I was in Rainbow Girls and this was the theme I chose for my term as leader (Worthy Advisor) of that group.


    All four of these statements are important and will help guide us in the days ahead.  But if, like the people hearing Peter’s Pentecost sermon, you’re asking, “What are we to do?”, here’s what Peter replied:

    Peter said, “Change your life. Turn to God and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, so your sins are forgiven. Receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is targeted to you and your children, but also to all who are far away—whomever, in fact, our Master God invites.” (Acts 2:38-39 MSG)


    Keep on praying and keep on changing and keep on dreaming.  Who knows what God has planned for us as individuals and as the Church in the days and years ahead?  I can’t wait to see!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment