Monday, January 15, 2024

What do you dream about?


Yesterday I read a poem by Liezel Graham in which she says her nine-year-old self dreamt of being an archeologist. My nine-year-old self was writing poems and editing the family newsletter and taking flute and piano lessons and imagining being a stewardess or a writer or a graphic artist or an architect.  As I grew older I was envious of those who were so focused on being one thing that the course of their schooling was already laid out for them. I finally zeroed in on being a writer because art class got my hands too dirty and stewardesses needed 20/20 vision (I have needed glasses since I was five) and I never got past algebra because the trig class was at the same time as General Hospital and my best friend's mom was at work so we ditched trig to go to her house and watch it.

Now I am a pastor who writes sermons and these occasional blogs, and plays around with art and lettering once in awhile, and fondly remembers the years of being in the worship band even though I always felt like I had to keep moving forward towards an as yet unknown call.

Now I dream about figuring out how to renovate my house and build a better world that will not leave our grandkids with used up resources and so many racial and economic divisions. I suppose my dreams are in some ways like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's. He did not live to see them fulfilled and I suppose that's going to be true for some of mine too. 

Have you ever noticed how monochromatic the world can be?  Very few buildings are colorful. So many cars are black or white or grey. It's hard to buy flooring that isn't beige or gray or brown. I crave more color and more freedom to be ourselves with less concern about what other people might think. I dream about making the world more colorful. 

I am still dreaming and I will keep on dreaming.  I remind myself to dream every time I play Wordle because "dream" is almost always my starting word. I dreamed of dying my hair green and now that I have it's another reminder to keep on dreaming. 

I wonder about God's dreams for us and I wonder what sorts of things other people are dreaming about. Who has given up on dreaming? Money and time seem to be my biggest obstacles...oh, and that people think that I am crazy...or maybe they don't and I should hope someday they will because my house will be colorful and we'll have made the church more colorful and painted murals on buildings and made other things in fun colors and encouraged people to dream and keep on dreaming.  

Sooooo.....
What are you dreaming about?

No comments:

Post a Comment