Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Wholeness and Green Hair


If you've seen me in the last couple of months, you might have noticed that I now have a chunk of hair that is green.  Not everyone notices or comments. A few have asked why it's there. At first, I didn't have much of an answer.  I said, "I like green." I said, "I've been thinking about doing this for a long time." Not really an explanation. 

It's a bit of rebellion, I suppose. More than that, it's one way for me to let the world know that I'm not your average pastor. I'm not what you might expect.  

It's obvious already in that I'm not a man, but I'm also not a traditionalist, or someone who's trying to maintain the status quo.  Someone once told me I "breathe change." So maybe the green hair makes it more obvious than just breathing.

My starword for 2023 is "wholeness," which is quite fitting for a change. (See previous blogs for my wrestling with previous words that didn't seem to fit for many months.)  In recovering from a bout with deep depression, I'm learning to be more honest with myself about who I am and what I'm thinking and feeling.  That honesty also has to be a part of my expression. I'm learning to be more bold in my sermons, and my green hair is part of that boldness.  All of this is helping me be more wholistically healthy.

I've heard some people say they thought funky hair colors were a sign that something was wrong with that person, or that they were having problems.  I am annoyed that the world can be so judgmental. So my green hair is also a bit of pushback against that judgmentalism.

By now you might be saying to yourself, "this person is overthinking this."  Maybe.  So, at the end of the day, why is my hair green?  Because I just like it.

Thanks, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment