Monday, August 3, 2020

AAAUGH!

Aaaugh!!!!  Charlie Brown after Lucy gets him yet again.  Me yesterday after finishing the worship broadcast on Facebook live. I’d practiced extra for this one and spent time working out how to better automate scene switches in OBS so that I didn’t repeat the previous week’s audio failures. 

There’s been so much progress since March when I first broadcast on my laptop with no bells and whistles.  Now I’m using OBS so I can incorporate videos of other people reading scripture and playing music.  I’m using an external microphone to get away from the machine hum that plagues my computer mic.  I’m using an app that lets me use my phone as the camera so the picture is clearer and doesn’t do that color-phasing thing my computer camera does.  I’ve added a ring light to try to get rid of the odd shadows.  I’ve learned how to incorporate jpg’s of scripture text and song lyrics.

But Sunday, the internet failed.  We start broadcasting early so people have time to find us and say hello to each other in the comments.  But suddenly everything froze.  So we rebooted the internet and the computer and the phone, and finally got back to broadcasting almost five minutes late.  So much for the carefully crafted video of beautiful pictures and music from one of our members for the preservice.  So much for my carefully scripted welcome sentences.  I started with, “Are you there?  Did everybody make it back on?”

From there, everything went ok, but when it was all done, instead of feeling joyful about worshipping our amazing God with the faithful gathering of the beloved congregation, I felt exhausted and unsatisfied.  I wanted to YELL at God. AAAARGH!!!! Why?!?!  Why do we have these problems?  Why can’t everything just be ok?

I know all of us doing online church have had times like this.  I know we’ve been blessed with good internet connections most of the time.  I know I can find reasons to be thankful in this, but right now, I just need to shout and groan instead. 

AAAAAAUGH!!!

Psalm 6 fits for me right now.  Don’t rebuke me, God.  I am weak and in agony.

There’s so much to yell about.  Can I just yell?

I know the answer is yes. I know God hears with patience beyond my understanding.

Thanks, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment