Tuesday, October 3, 2017

It's a challenging week for finding God's peace!

I see God's hand in the timing of next Sunday's sermon subject.  I chose it weeks ago as part of our series on growing in gratitude.

Sunday's Texts: Philippians 4:1-9, Isaiah 41:1-13
Sermon Title: Peace Incomprehensible

After hearing about the shooting in Las Vegas Sunday night, God's peace not only seems incomprehensible, it seems impossible. It's hard to watch the news without shedding tears and feeling sick.  We are sad, we are angry, we are afraid.  We wonder whether it's ok to yell at God about this. The prophets and the psalmists did cry out to God and their words are preserved for us in the Bible.  

"How long, O Lord? ...How long must I bear pain in my soul?" (Psalm 13:1-2) 

Though peace seems far off now, we know that God is still with us, and trust that God's peace will come, because God is faithful and keeps his promises to us.

For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand;
it is I who say to you, “Do not fear, I will help you."
Isaiah 41:13

Jesus also reassures us of God's peace through his words to the disciples in John 14.  
"The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid."  John 14:26-27
May you keep on seeking God, and may you find God's peace in unexpected ways, today and every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment