Sunday, January 29, 2017

Psalm 29


Psalm 29 is one of my favorites. Maybe it's because I'm fascinated by the physics of sound and its power.  Maybe it's because I'm reminded that God speaks in such a great variety of ways.  

I've written about God and sound before here.

I'm preaching on Psalm 29 today (listen here) at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Galveston, but as is so often the case, I'm unable in the shortness of a sermon to fully explore all there is to explore in this idea of God's voice and God's power.

Looking at Facebook and Twitter and the news today, there are so many loud voices.  There is so much fear and concern and uncertainty.  It's a scary time for so many and none of us really know how this all turns out.  I want to yell into the chaos and get everyone to be quiet for a moment a let God's peace still the fears.  I want to sing everyone a lullaby that has been my mantra in tough times:


I won't be afraid of the future
Or carry the weight of the past
I'll be still and know that you are God
You're love will always last 1

If music isn't for you, then maybe remembering this prayer will help:


God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 
the courage to change the things I can, 
and the wisdom to know the difference. 
--Reinhold Niebuhr 2

Psalm 29 ends with a reminder, an assurance:



Share your experience in the comments:

How does God speak the loudest to you? 

How is God speaking to you today?



_______________
1 I couldn't find a recording but here's a chart of the whole song http://worship.renewalvineyard.org/combined/Be_Still.pdf

2 Find the rest of this prayer here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment