Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Beginnings


My pastor friend has a 12-day prayer group in Facebook that I’m following.  Today she greeted us with this post:  Happy 2014! Genesis 2:3 "and God rested from all the creating he had done." How do we allow for rest?

This one struck a chord with me today because I struggle with this.  I have a hard time staying off the merry-go-round of second guessing myself--am I doing enough, am I studying enough, am I praying enough, am I meeting expectations enough, is my house clean enough.  Of course the answer is always no and it probably always will be no.  There’s always more that can be done.  My church treasurer told me when we were filling out the Board of Pensions enrollment document, "Full time nothing.  You're 24/7."   True in so many ways, because I don't think I ever stop thinking about the next sermon, the next whatever, or praying about the people in the church.

So how do I allow for rest?  Maybe it’s those five to ten minutes at the end of the day when I play the silly word game on my Kindle until I get sleepy. At the core, though, I think rest is trust.  What C.S. Lewis says is true:  "Relying on God has to begin all over again every day as if nothing had yet been done."[1]   And every day is a new beginning and a new opportunity to trust God to guide me through the day, and to trust that whatever happens in this day is just what needs to happen, whether it fit my plan or anyone else's plan or not. 




[1] C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment