Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Humble Acceptance

As sometimes happens, yesterday I woke up seriously struggling with the same old nagging doubts and worries. I thought I had a handle on it after spending some time in prayer, and then Rob asked me a question about our daughter's school loan and the facade I had put up cracked. I hadn't realized it was only a facade until then, and although I had been avoiding telling Rob about my struggles that morning because I didn't want to burden him, he pressed to know more and instantly spotted what I inevitably miss when I'm in the midst of this--Satan at work again. He rather sternly pointed out where I had gone wrong--tryng to act ok instead of facing this head on--and basically chased Satan out right then and there; never a fun moment, but definitely what needed to be done. Looking back on it now, I see how much this relates to all we talked about Saturday night in our study of God's spiritual armor and wondering how I could be so daft and not see that, but that's just how these things go sometimes. I needed to let somebody else in to help me out because I couldn't do it by myself. I was praying; I'd read my bible, but yesterday that wasn't enough. So after Rob's intervention, my outlook improved and today is an entirely different story, which brings me to the verse that promted this writing:

Today's VOTD from Bible Gateway: “Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.”- James 1:21

Seems an interesting follow-up to my struggles yesterday morning to be reminded of the need for humble acceptance of the word planted in me. I guess that's more of that same old lesson, to trust that God is at work in me and in all things. It goes nicely with my soundtrack for this morning and last night, the refrain that keeps running through my head: It's all because of Jesus I'm alive...

It's typical all I have in my head is just that one line from the song, so I had to go look up the rest (Thank God for the internet!). Turns out it's a Casting Crowns song, so I must have heard it recently on the radio.

All Because Of Jesus
Giver of every breath I breathe, author of all eternity
Giver of every perfect thing, to you be the glory
Maker of heaven and of earth, no one can comprehend your worth
King over all the universe, to you be the glory
And I am alive because I'm alive in you
And it's all because of Jesus I'm alive
It's all because the blood of Jesus Christ
That covers me and raised this dead man's life
It's all because of Jesus
I'm aliveI'm alive, I'm alive
Giver of every breath I breathe, author of all eternity
Giver of every perfect thing, to you be the glory
Maker of heaven and of earth, no one can comprehend worth
King over all the universe, to you be the glory
And I am alive because I'm alive in you
And it's all because of Jesus I'm alive
And it's all because of the blood of Jesus Christ
That covers me and raised this dead man's life
It's all because of Jesus Every sunrise sings your praise
The universe cries out your praise
I'm singing freedom all my days
Now that I'm alive
And it's all because of Jesus I'm alive
It's all because of the blood of Jesus Christ
That covers me and raised this dead man's life
It's all because of Jesus(x2)
I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive

Today I easily resonate with that last line--I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive! And it is indeed all because of Jesus, even though I frequently don't think of it that way. Praise God that He always helps us find the way back by sending in exactly what we need just when we need it. To Him be all glory and honor and praise! I know but often need to be reminded that I am incredibly weak, but he is strong. I'm really just good at one thing--showing up for quiet time every day. It's the least I can do, and sometimes literally the very least, but I know that there's no way i'm coming close to staying on track without that. I have to at least provide an opening for God to break through to me. I'll go days and days just going through the motions with little depth, and then something happens like yesterday and it's a dramatic breakthrough all over again. The beautiful part is that no matter how long it takes, God always finds a way, and then it's amazing to me all over again how much he loves us and takes care of us and puts up with all our silliness. He is faithful and he is good, all the time.

Praying your day is filled with His blessings,
Mel

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment