Thursday, November 30, 2006

Then & Now--Still Bananas?

It's been almost 20 years since I wrote "Bananas" for an English class (see below). I don't remember the nature of the assignment, only that I struggled to come up with a topic and at the last minute had this fruity inspiration. Some of the situations presented were true-to-life for me back then, and it's interesting looking at them from today's perspective. I wasn't even thinking about having kids in those days, but now I have 3 and every day I pack them a brown paper sack lunch with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a banana. Who knew? Back then I lived in Southern California where traffic was a part of life. Now I live in rural South Carolina where traffic is something I can easily avoid by staying out of the cities. What joy to leave that behind! I don't remember if there really was a man with poodles or if I even had a dog. I'm pretty sure there was a lady with a crying baby in church, and considering the misguided frame of mind I lived in back then, I probably really thought she should take a leap. The scary thing is that given the opportunity, I might have actually told her so. To all those who had to deal with me then, I'm sorry. Thank God for His awesome mercy, forgiveness and grace! And for bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment